Wishing you a happy, colorful autumn from New Mexico! This summer has broken records for heat worldwide, and my skin is showing it. With the current challenges we are all facing, never before have we needed more lush, loving self care. So here we go.
I’ve been busy perfecting this WHIPPED BODY BUTTER with a shea butter base, packed with antioxidants, all your omegas (3, 6, 7 and 9!), vitamin e, botanicals and more to help you get your glow on. The wonderful thing about shea butter is how well it absorbs, leaving your skin smooth but dry to the touch, and never oily. As I live in the high desert at almost 6,000 feet above sea level, with hot summer days reaching over 100F, I’ve added a tiny bit of coconut oil to add a more luxe, velvety finish. If you’re reading this from Florida, California, or somewhere else with significant humidity, I’d recommend omitting the coconut oil to start with.
After you whip up this first batch of your own, it is easy as pie to add in a touch more fragrance or coconut oil if you’d like it to be more richly scented or would like a more smooth, luxe texture. My skin loves to eat up this body butter each morning after a shower, however I do use something lighter for my face (recipe currently undergoing perfection before sharing). So go on–get your glow on, go out and meet the season with a big, radiant smile.
NOTE: It certainly should be said–these are not your typical pantry ingredients. They are superfood-rich, antioxidant loaded, potent botanicals that you’ll have to bring into your home for this recipe. I bought these online, and have enough for SO MANY future batches. I’ve included the cost of each ingredient I found on amazon, so you can see how cost effective this really is.
WHIPPED BODY BUTTER
- 2 cups (or 1/2 pound) of shea butter (I bought 1 lb for $15)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (omit if you live in a humid area, 8 oz jar for $5)
- 1 tbsp vitamin E oil (3 oz for $6)
- 1 tbsp baobab oil (2 oz for $10)
- 1 tbsp jojoba oil (4 oz for $9)
- 1/2 tsp seabuckthorn oil (2 oz for $15)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or any scent of your choice (I used Fiori di Sicilia baking extract)
- Gently break or chop the solid shea butter into rough chunks, and place in a large bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water (this is a double boiler set up). Give it five minutes or so to gently melt, stirring occasionally. Once about 2/3 of the shea butter has melted, and you only have about 1/3 remaining as floating solid pieces, it is ready to take off of the heat. ***If you melt it completely, it will be too hot to whip up right away. You’ll need to place it in the fridge for a few minutes to cool down a bit.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and the melted shea butter to the bowl of a stand mixer, or a large mixing bowl.
- Gently whip for about ten minutes until fluffy, light, cloud-like and magical.
- After showering, enjoy a scoop on body, hands, feet and share with loved ones who need a little extra glow.
Questions? Substitutions? Modifications? Or do you want to let me know that you just found something you love? Let me know what you think in the comments below or email me (as always!) at email@example.com.
With love + plants,