Because sometimes, when you’re prepping meals ahead of time to eat healthily, but maybe home from work a little late, still making sure you’re working out enough, also being your most vibrant self, still need to wake up early tomorrow, and finishing everything else you’ve gotta do today…you want carrot cake for breakfast tomorrow morning.
This is jam-packed with antioxidants and fiber (thanks to the chia, carrots and psyllium) plus a creamy cake-like texture and spice (here’s the coconut milk, fresh ginger and pumpkin pie spice you don’t use enough). The ingredient list is long but it’s a flexible recipe to use what you already have in your pantry.
Prep this for the week ahead and keep rocking it in all the ways you do.
Carrot Cake Overnight Oats. YES!
- 1 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup grated carrot (try rainbow carrots, or add some grated apple too!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons psyllium husk (if you don’t have it, replace 1:1 with chia or flax)
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds (or flax seeds)
- 3 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (nutmeg+cloves+allspice)
- 1/2 teaspoon additional cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds for my last batch)
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 can coconut milk + 1 1/2 can’s worth of water (if substituting a different milk, add 30 oz or 3 3/4 cup of liquid total)
Take it up another level! Optional: 1/3 cup finely chopped crystalized ginger, 1/3 cup coconut flakes, 1/3 cup cranberries
- Get a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients to the bowl, with the whole can of coconut milk.
- Then fill the empty coconut milk can with water and add 1 and 1/2 cans worth of water. Mix well and allow to sit for about 15-30 minutes until the water is absorbed, and portion out into 6 containers (or mason jars if you’re just that hip!). If you’re storing it in one large container, no need to wait for the water to absorb before putting in the fridge–this extra step just makes portioning a bit tidier.
- Fresh berries on top are a decadent and colorful garnish to this ode to the morning dessert you’ve always deserved.