These biscuits are delicious as is, and they also freeze well and adapt to different additions of spices, herbs and other flavorings. Morning or evening, these are gobbled up quickly, especially when seasoned with fresh herbs and lots of black pepper and topped with gravy, or scented with lemon zest and served with coconut yogurt and fresh berries. Alternatively, skip the cutting step and roll the dough 1/2 inch thick to top a veggie pot pie and bake until golden brown.
The Best Biscuits
- 2 c. flour, extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp. brown or white sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. vegan butter or coconut oil, cold
- 1 c. plant mylk of choice (I like soy best!)
- 2 tbsp. baking powder
- Black pepper herb: 1/4 c. chopped herbs (I love chives and oregano), 1 tbsp. black pepper
- Rosemary garlic: 2 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tbsp fresh rosemary
- Green chile “cheddar”: 1/4 c. fresh or frozen chopped green chile, 1/3 c. nutritional yeast, 1/4 c. water, 1 tsp. garlic powder
- Chocolate: 1/2 c. chocolate chips, an extra 1/4 c. sugar, 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and any variation ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut vegan butter into pats and add to flour, then smoosh with a fork or pastry cutter until the mixture resembles rough crumbs. (Or pulse a few times in a food processor.)
- Gently stir in mylk with a fork, leaving a few bits of flour unincorporated to avoid overmixing.
- Place dough onto a floured surface and gently pat out to about two inches thick. Fold in half, then gently pat out flat to two inches thick again. Repeat two more times for a total of three fold-and-pats.
- Set the dough aside and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Flatten the dough to one inch thick, gently shaping into a circle or rectangle.
- Cut dough into 8-12 biscuits using a knife. (My favorite shape is an uneven triangle; for round biscuits, a floured glass works great!) **TIP: Press the knife straight down through the dough. Back-and-forth cutting (knife) or twisting (glass) motions seal the biscuit edges and prevent rising while baking.
- Space biscuits an inch apart on a cookie sheet and back until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Peek halfway through to see if rotating the sheet is necessary to brown the biscuits evenly.