This smooth, rich gravy gets flavor from browning the butter before adding garlic and herbs. My biscuits are the perfect base to this gravy. Add an egg, sautéed veggies or shredded roast chicken and you’ve got a meal! Thin the gravy as needed with a small amount of water, and serve hot.
Brown Butter Gravy
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 ½ c. warm chicken stock, or bouillon dissolved in 1½ c. warm water
- 1 tsp. of mixed dried oregano, rosemary and thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ c. milk
- In a large sauté pan on medium-low heat, gently melt the butter and continue to cook until foamy and beginning to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, stir, then sprinkle in and whisk flour. Cook until the roux foams and begins to turn a light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and herbs. Simmer and whisk for about 5 minutes until thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the milk, and thin with water if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve right away.