This smooth, rich gravy gets flavor from browning the vegan butter before adding garlic and herbs. My biscuits are the perfect base to this gravy. Add sautéed veggies or mushrooms and tofu and you’ve got a meal! Thin the gravy as needed with a small amount of water, and serve hot.
Brown Butter Gravy
- 4 oz. vegan butter
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 c. flour
- 1 ½ c. warm veggie or mushroom stock, or bouillon dissolved in 1½ c. warm water
- 1 tsp. of mixed dried oregano, rosemary and thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ c. plant mylk
- In a large sauté pan on medium-low heat, gently melt the vegan butter and continue to cook until foamy and beginning to turn golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, stir, then sprinkle in and whisk flour. Cook until the roux foams and begins to turn a light golden brown, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the stock and herbs. Simmer and whisk for about 5 minutes until thick enough to lightly coat the back of a spoon.
- Whisk in the mylk, and thin with water if necessary.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve right away.